What is English word USE?
Definitions of USE
- The act of using.
- A function; a purpose for which something may be employed.
- Occasion or need to employ; necessity.
- To utilize or employ.
- (uncountable) The act of consuming alcohol or narcotics.
- (uncountable, followed by "of") Usefulness, benefit.
- (obsolete, rare) Interest for lent money; premium paid for the use of something; usury.
- (archaic) Continued or repeated practice; usage; habit.
- (obsolete) Common occurrence; ordinary experience.
- (Christianity) A special form of a rite adopted for use in a particular context, often a diocese.
- (forging) A slab of iron welded to the side of a forging, such as a shaft, near the end, and afterward drawn down, by hammering, so as to lengthen the forging.
- To accustom; to habituate. (Now common only in participial form. Uses the same pronunciation as the noun; see usage notes.)
- (intransitive, archaic or literaryexcept in past tense) To habitually do; to be wont to do. (Now chiefly in past-tense forms; see used to.)
- (dated) To behave toward; to act with regard to; to treat.
- (reflexive, obsolete) To behave, act, comport oneself.